How well do you know the U.S Presidents?

I do not try and present myself as an expert on the Presidents of these United States.  I am a student of History and enjoy particularly, the History of the United States of America.  This blessed country has a history as rich, if not as long, as any European nation.

I was given the following trivia by one of my instructors.  It is fun, interesting and some stuff many people do not know.  See how many you may know.  Find the answers you don't.  It is NOT useless information, and who knows, you may just be able to win a trivia game one day.  One thing is for sure; what you learn while looking up these answers will be invaluable, mark my word!

GOOD LUCK!


  1. Who was the only President to hold a Phd?
  2. When I died, though I had been an important Founding Father, even the Quakers refused to bury me.
  3. I disowned my only son because he did not support the American Revolutionary cause.
  4. Some have called me the “Martha Stewart” of my day because I loved decorating and furnishing my home.
  5. My farewell speech warned Americans of the “military industrial complex.”
  6. The buck stops here.”
  7. If you want a friend in Washington, get a dog.”
  8. No man ever listened himself out of a job.”
  9. The last thing I wanted to do was to be a wartime President”.
  10.  Born in 1782, I was the first President born a U.S. citizen.
  11.  I was 5’4” tall, rarely weighed more than 100 lbs and had chronic arthritis.
  12.  I was the first President to speak over the newly invented radio.
  13.  I was over 300 lbs and the White House had a special bathtub installed for me.
  14.  Leon Czolgosz killed me on September 14th, 1901.
  15. We were the only two Presidents who were Quakers.
  16.  I am the only President who was never married.
  17.  I am the President who the most children.  Who was I and how many kids did I have?
  18.  I kept a pet alligator in the White House.
  19.  I was nicknamed the “Teflon President.”
  20.  I was the first President to live in the White House.
  21.  I was known as the “trust buster.”
  22.  “A chicken in very pot and a car in every garage.”
  23.  I appointed BOTH the first woman Cabinet member and the first woman as a U.S. Ambassador to a foreign country.
  24.  My salary as President was $25,000.
  25.  I was the first President that had been born in a hospital.
  26.  What religion can boast the highest number of American Presidents?
  27.  I was the only President with a Jehovah’s Witness upbringing although I shifted   somewhat after 1915.
  28.  I was the first President to appoint a woman to the U.S. Supreme Court.
  29.  I was the first President to have a child born while in the White House.
  30. These two Presidents both died and just hours apart on July 4, 1826.
  31. I had no formal education and was a tailor prior to politics and the Presidency.
  32.  My wife was affectionately known as “Lemonade Lucy.”
  33.  I was the President to first put & have electricity in the White House.
  34.  In part influenced by Upton Sinclair’s The Jungle, I supported and got the Meat Inspection Act passed.
  35. I hired Louis Comfort Tiffany to restore and do some redesigning of the White House.
  36. Army General or not, I could get physically ill at the sight of blood and I deplored the sport of hunting.
  37. I was the only President to serve two NON-consecutive terms in the White House.
  38. I was the last Civil War veteran to serve as President.
  39.  I am the only President to also have served as Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.
  40. Whether popular culture bunk, total nonsense or political allegory, Frank Baum’s 1900 classic The Wizard of Oz supposedly made political commentary on my Presidency and even portrayed me as the Wizard himself.
  41. I was supposed to be assassinated also in 1865 but the assassin assigned to do me in lost their nerve.
  42. I was a president that became famous for saying so little that a White House dinner guest made a bet that she could get the president to say more than two words. She told the president of her wager. His reply: "You lose."
  43. I not only disagreed with the Supreme Court decision favoring the Cherokee claim, but I also openly defied it and removed the Cherokee from their land anyway.
  44. First Lucy Mercer, then Missy LeHand, then Lucy Mercer again until my death.
  45. My Presidency had many low points and misjudgments, but my unrelenting determination that resulted in the Camp David Accords was not one of them and remains a stunning achievement in Presidential history.
  46. I was a President BUT in my entire career I was never elected to ANY office higher than that of Congress.
  47. “Old Rough and Ready.”
  48.  Although it sounds scandalous at first, I married my school teacher….she was only a year older than me.
  49. “The Little Magician.”
  50. Sure, I made money and a living in several businesses before becoming President but one in particular that made me big money was my part ownership of the Texas Rangers baseball team.
  51. Awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross, I flew 58 missions in WWII and was shot down by the Japanese but rescued by an American submarine.
  52. Two months before taking office, my 11-year-old son was killed in a train accident.
  53. I was inaugurated on March 4, 1841 and died on April 4, 1841.  The first President to die in office.
  54. While serving first as Vice President, I lamented, "My country has in its wisdom contrived for me the most insignificant office that ever the invention of man contrived or his imagination conceived."
  55. Although my “Doctrine” did not have its formal name until 20 years after my death, my “Doctrine” warned European nations to stay out of Latin America.
  56. It is I, and not Thomas Jefferson, who can be called the “Father of the Constitution.”
  57. Although there was no Constitutionality that granted me the power or authority or to defend it, I went ahead with the Louisiana Purchase anyway.
  58. After election but before taking office, my heart was broken by the death of a beloved stepson and the death of my wife who had been decimated by the media as being an adulteress, a whore and a divorcee.
  59. I won the Nobel Prize for History with my 1955 book Profiles in Courage.
  60. My Presidency will always be connected to and haunted by the Dred Scott decision.
  61. My Presidency was fiercely expansionist and “my War” and the land obtained from that war also worsened the already deteriorating relations between the American North and South over slavery.
  62. If you doubt the importance of a family dog, just check out the number of hits there are on YouTube of my famed “Checkers Speech.”
  63. One my film “classics” was a WWII U. S. Army Air Corps training film called “Japanese Zero.”
  64. I wasn’t a particularly wealthy guy but I became the wealthiest guy in Virginia when I married Martha.
  65. My election to the Presidency has forever become tagged as the “corrupt bargain.”
  66. I became known as “His Accidency.”
  67. Afraid of losing the Southern vote, I chose not to support the Anti-Lynching Law when it was before Congress.
  68. Alexander Graham Bell tried feverishly to save me with a device he had invented to find a bullet lodged in me.  He failed and I died.
  69. "that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain--that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom--and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."
  70. My birth name was William Jefferson Blythe III.
  71. My ‘Good Neighbor Policy” gave more strength to the Monroe Doctrine and outlined a definitive response to European or any other country’s involvement in Latin America.
  72. While I was Vice-President, I served a President who detested me and who kept secret from the plans called the Manhattan Project.  I only learned of it when the President died.
  73. “In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist”. 
  74. I was never President but I was a pretty darn colorful Vice-President….during my term I killed a guy in a duel and I got to stay in office!
  75. John C. Calhoun resigned as Vice-President in 1832 in order to run for office but I am the only VP to resign in complete disgrace.
  76. Without the heroic efforts of this First Lady, the famed portrait of George Washington in the White House would have been lost to an advancing British Army.
  77. I buried three sons and my husband and a fourth son had me committed to an insane asylum. 
  78. My idea, the League of Nations, failed to pass Congress and the U.S. did not join but after WWII, a similar idea bore witness to the foresight of my ideals………..it became known as the United Nations.
  79. When the newspapers chanted “"Ma, ma, where's my pa? Off to the White House, ha ha ha!" – I admitted to fathering an illegitimate son and my sex scandal became Presidential history.
  80. I was already accused of having an affair and children with one of my slaves while I was President but the DNA proof did not come out until 1998.
  81. Until Nixon and then Clinton, my scandal was considered the worst, a story of bribes, land deals and big money being made.  I died before anything could be absolutely proven…who am I and what was my scandal called?
  82. Four freedoms:  The first is freedom of speech and expression - everywhere in the world.  The second is freedom of everyone to worship God in his own  way, everywhere in the world. The third is freedom from want . . . everywhere in the world.  The     fourth is freedom from fear . . . anywhere in the world.”  
  83. "I have left orders to be awakened at any time in case of national emergency, even if I'm in a cabinet meeting."
  84. “When the President does it, that means it's not illegal.”
  85. "I want a kinder, gentler nation."
  86. "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."
  87. Can a U.S. President declare War?
  88. What the only THREE requirements to run for President?
  89.  True or False: Congress can directly override an Executive Order of the President
  90.  True or False: The President can grant pardons and reprieves from any Federal offenses
  91. True or False: The President can enter into a Treaty without the Senate approving
  92. Can the Presidency be won with only the popular vote?
  93. True or False: A House or Senate Bill can only become law if the President signs it.
  94. True or False: Congress can override a President’s veto with a 2/3 vote.
  95. I ran for President unopposed by any candidate….of course, I won, too!
  96. In 1991, they exhumed my body to decide once and for all if I had murdered by arsenic poisoning.
  97. I married my fifth cousin once removed but still we were cousins.
  98. I am the only President to have donned a Nazi uniform.
  99. At my funeral in 1845, they had to remove my pet parrot because it was colorfully cussing out the crowd.
   100. I was the first President to be photographed at an Inauguration.  My eventual assassin is also in that picture with me.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are there any Sons of Liberty left?

Tu necessita habla espanol

On Obama