- She is a young, energetic mother of 5
- She is solidly pro-life. Her youngest son, born this last April, has Downs Syndrome. This is a perfect counterpoint to the pro-death views of the Democratic party - who would have aborted this beautiful child.
- She has made a name for herself fighting the corruption that Alaska has become infamous for.
- She is the mother of a US Soldier. In the War on Terror both her and Sen. McCain have put their money where their mouth is. When they put soldiers in harms way it is personal for them. They won't take this responsibility lightly because the stakes are so personally high.
- As both a mayor and governor she has cut wasteful spending and then returned the funds to the people that paid into it.
- She directly confronted corruption and entrenched interests in her state to make government serve the people, not the special interests, demonstrating a courage not often found in politicians.
- She is the Governor of our largest oil-producing state, but not an oil executive. This gives her credibility on the energy issue without suspicion. (Who better to tell us the TRUTH about ANWR?)
- She has executive experience as both a Governor and a Mayor
- She has credibility on environmental issues.
- She is fiscally conservative in every sense of the word.
- She is a lifetime member of the NRA as well as an avid hunter and fisher. She is absolutely rock-solid on the 2nd Amendment
- Finally, she is a woman. Selecting her as his running mate gives the lie to Democratic accusations of our party being sexist and may help attract and/or retain the "defense moms" that put President Bush over the top for his second term.
A story I heard that cements my support for this ticket happened when she first became Governor. The Democratic Governor in office prior to her took taxpayer monies and bought a private leer jet for use by the office. When she took over, she saw it as unnecessary waste of taxpayer money. So she put it on ebay.
I know we can bet that the major media, after they pick themselves off the floor, (after drooling profusely all week at the democratic convention) will devise every hit piece they can. But they will have to be careful. If they attack her on experience, she has been Gov. for 2 years. Obama is only 2 years into his first term as Senator. They cannot attack her on being a woman (but they will try) because they had Hillary. (bet they wish they had not committed to Biden as VP now. Hope and change are with Palin. Blacks were allowed to vote before women were, so he can't argue he's been deprived longer. You just know Howard Dean and the rest of the DNC is just wetting themselves.
What I hear the most right now is that she was "only the Gov of the least populated state in the union, and Obama Serves one of the largest Districts in Illinois. After the initial announcement I actually felt giddy with excitement. I know the hit squads will be out in force but I am predicting a very lopsided victory for McCain at this point. We'll just have to watch and wait. I think it will be interesting how the media will cover the Republican Convention and the bounce in the polls they are sure to get.
Denial I'm sure. I see the conservative republicans being energized with this VP pick. I saw a weak Democratic convention that offered no solutions and actually caused even more questions.
Bring on November!